Friday, December 26, 2008

Mini Lesson: Abstract Art

Sometimes Art is in the eye of the beholder. I can look at something and see something totally different than you. We are all different and that makes us each unique. I have uploaded a picture I drew and colored in. You can see the image has no specific pattern but at the same time, smaller parts of it do. The overall picture is not precisely drawn or following a precise order; its random. However, in the random parts of the picture, the small details, you see precision and neatness. You can see the lines are straight, the triangles are firm, the circles are precise, and the colors are toned just right.

This image is an example of abstract art, there are a few things you can distinguish but they don't follow an order or set rules. We see a sun, but what purpose is it playing in the picture? It's up to the viewer to make his/her mind up and decide what the shapes are and what they mean.

This can be used in architecture; modern and futuristic architecture use crazy shapes, sharp edges, designs that challenge the current mind-set of traditional architects. Architects are experimenting with new materials, bending the rules, and coming up with new designs that are awe-insipiring.

Assignment: Grab a plain sheet of paper. Get a pencil, pen, crayons, markers, whatever writing utensil you have. Draw what comes to mind, without a pattern, just draw. Color in the shapes with colors you feel match the image. Be creative! Leave me a comment or contact me and tell me, what have you learned? Did you enjoy this experiment? Would you use it more often in your own work? Send me some images, I want to see what you came up with! Good luck!

God Bless!

1 comment:

  1. I like abstract art even though I'm not very artistic. The picture above is very interesting.

    Rich
    http://www.bloggerforchrist.com

    ReplyDelete